First I needed a heart. I called a few butchers to see if any had an intact, whole cow heart I could purchase. Despite the fact that SEVERAL said yes, I showed up to each of them only to find them sliced, cubed, out of stock, or disappointing in one way or another. Finally, I found one that was just flayed open. One single cut. I gave in and bought that one and spent the night before the shoot sewing it back together. (See, I'm so good I can mend a broken heart!) Those things are big!! That's a standard dinner plate. It was awesome being able to do FX on something that would be published. I'd played around with it before, and done bruises and tattoos and things like THAT on shoots, but this was my first published prosthetic appliance. So stoked!
On to the shoot!
Here's a few shots of me getting everyone ready! I can't wait to share when the actual spread comes out.
|Fixing the hair around a very cool custom crown made for the shoot|
|Looks so surgical! Covering the clothing so |
I can apply the prosthetic.
|Done attaching, now on to blending and the blood!|